Dr. Ramnarayan Ramachandran
MBBS, M.Ch, FRCS (England)| 28 Years of Experience
Licensed to see patients from India, Qatar, UAE, Oman, Maldives, Kuwait
Consultant Restorative Neurosurgeon – I restore lost nervous functions by surgical methods.
Consultant Restorative Neurosurgeon surgical procedures I do/plan include:
1) Deep brain stimulation (DBS) for:
a) Movement disorders like Parkinsonism, dystonias, essential tremor.
b) Some psychiatric problems like depression, OCD, and some other psychiatric illnesses.
c) Intractable alcoholism
d) Chronic pain especially the central post stroke pain.
e) Intractable epilepsy
f) Intractable obesity
g) some types of autism (aggressive types with self harm).
h) select cases of schizophrenia.
2) Intrathecal pumps:
- A) Intrathecal morphine (ITM) pumps are very useful in:
a) cancer pains
b) Failed back surgery syndromes.
c) Other types of noxious pain.
- B) Intrathecal baclofen (ITB) pumps are good in
a) All types of spasticity as in
2. Hypoxic encephalopathy
3. Multiple Sclerosis
4. Severe head injury
5. Spinal cord injury
7. Some Neurodegenerative illness
- b) Patients in persistent vegetative state.
c) Cases of spino-cerebellar degeneration
d) Patients with cerebellar involvement in Multiple sclerosis
3) Spinal cord stimulation (SCS) is very useful in:
a) Refractory .angina/ Intractable heart Failure (Class 3 and 4)
b) Patients with failed back surgery syndrome
c) Patients with severe painful diabetic neuropathy.
d) Patients with brachial plexus injury pain
e) Patients with severe peripheral vascular disease (limb saving)
4) Sacral nerve stimulation for sphincter disturbances
a) Urinary incontinence
b) Urinary retention ( non-Obstructive)
c) Faecal incontinence d) constipation
e) some cases of irritable bowel syndrome
5) Vagal nerve stimulation for
a) intractable epilepsy
b) refractory depression.
- MBBS Trivandrum Medical College, University of Kerala, India.
- M.Ch (Neurosurgery) National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore, India.
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Fellowship (Functional Neurosurgery ) Walton Centre for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Liverpool, United Kingdom.
- IFAANS American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- Restorative NeuroSurgery
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Doctor by Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University – National Integrity Cultural Academy – Department of Social Welfare, Govt of Tamil Nadu. ( 2012 )
- Awarded the Gold Plaque – National Neurosciences Centre, Muscat, Oman ( 2014 )
- Gold Star Millennium Achievers Award and Gold Medal ( 2010 )
- Life Member – Neurological Society of India (NSI)
- International Member – American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS)
- Member – Indian Medical Association, Kerala Chapter, India.
- Life Member – Neurological Society of India (Kerala Chapter).
- Member – Indian Medical Association, Tamil Nadu Chapter, India
- Life Member – Indian Society of Stereotactic and Functional neurosurgery(ISSFN)
- TNMC 83116